Wednesday 3 June 2020

24 words - Steadfast

This is the third of 24 blog posts each day in June as part of a challenge to remember my sister Anna Murray who died on 20th October 2019. You can read my reflections on my sister here and watch a film I made about her here. If you want to donate to Pancreatic Cancer UK you can do so here. These posts will be short 'thoughts' rather than detailed blog posts.

You probably don't need any reminding that this life can feel like a storm.  If you haven't faced some struggle in the last 10 weeks you must really, really enjoy your own company!!  The last two years have been a real storm for us as we nursed my sister with terminal cancer and then lost my dad 6 months later.  My mum is now on her own when she she should be surrounded by her family as she grieves for her husband of over 50 years.  Just like a real storm often life events take us unawares and toss us about.  When we are in the middle of them we think that may never reach our destination.  We can despair and lose hope.

18 terrifying photos of ships in trouble

In Hebrews 6 v 19 we read 'We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.'  What is our anchor in this life?  Our job, our house, our pension?  As we have seen over these last 10 weeks these anchors are not very secure.  Surely, for the Christian, our anchor is gospel hope.  But what does this anchor fix on?  As Matthew Henry says: '...it is an anchor that has taken good hold, it enters that which is within the veil; it is an anchor that is cast upon the rock, the Rock of ages.'  Corrie Ten Boom once said 'in order to feel the worth of the anchor, we need to feel the stress of the storm.'  Whatever storm you are passing through right now, Christ is the best anchor for the storms of this life. Now more than ever in the midst of an international pandemic we need something or even better someone who is steadfast.  

When my sister was first diagnosed in March 2018 I was working on something while listening to Sandra McCraken's 'Steadfast'.  I was overwhelmed with emotion at the enormity of what my sister was facing.  I can't listen to it now without deep emotion welling up at the loss of my sister. I am so thankful that she had a sure and steadfast hope and that her  hope was on the rock that does not move.

I will build my house
Whether storm or drought
On the rock that does not move
I will set my hope
In your love, O Lord
And your faithfulness will prove

You are steadfast, steadfast

By the word you spoke
All the starry host
Are called out by name each night
In your watchful care
I will rest secure
As you lead us with your light

You are steadfast, steadfast

I will not trust in the strength of kings
On your promise I will stand
I will shout for joy, I will raise my voice
Hallelujah to the Lamb!

You are steadfast, steadfast


In the moment of emptiness
All was fulfilled
In the hour of darkness
Your light was revealed
In the presence of death
Your life was affirmed
In the absence of holiness,
You are still God.


You are steadfast, steadfast
You are steadfast, steadfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment